As skin ages, it experiences a slowing of the natural processes which help its firmness, tautness and radiance. Visible signs of premature skin aging appear as a result of hormone changes, UV exposure and more, which weaken skin’s collagen (which keeps skin firm) and elastin (which keeps skin bouncing back) in your skin as you age, resulting in the formation of visible fine lines and wrinkles.
Fine lines and wrinkles are a natural part of growing older and they affect everyone, however many people dislike the appearance of the aging process. They tend to appear on areas of the body that receive the most sun exposure, such as the face and neck, back of the hands, and arms.The first facial wrinkles tend to appear in areas where the skin naturally folds during facial expressions. As people get older, their skin becomes thinner, drier, and less elastic, which means it is less able to protect itself from damage. Aging skin also starts to lose its ability to hold on to moisture. It makes less oil and is slower to heal. That all contributes to the wrinkling process.With age, skin cells divide more slowly, and the skin’s inner layer, called the dermis, begins to thin. This leads to wrinkles, creases, and lines on the skin. Facial expressions, such as smiling, frowning, or squinting, lead to the development of fine lines and wrinkles at a young age. These lines deepen as the person gets older. When a person is young, their skin springs back, but as they get older, the skin loses its elasticity, and it becomes more difficult for the skin to spring back, resulting in permanent grooves.
No matter how healthy your face looks, your neckline can tell a different story. That’s because neck skin is thin, delicate, and more vulnerable to sun damage, photosensitization from fragrances, and the wrinkle-deepening motion of looking down at your devices. It also loses strength and flexibility with age while neck muscles weaken underneath. These factors can exacerbate the appearance of lines, creases and sagging. Ways to combat these signs should include:
- Use a neck skin tightening serum morning and night. A neck serum such as Neck Fit Contour Serum is a great way to add specialised neck care to your usual skin care regimen. Neck serums are typically formulated to help visibly tighten and strengthen skin on the neck area. They can be applied before your moisturiser to help lift and firm the appearance of your neck and décolleté.
- Establishing a healthy diet and lifestyle. Making healthy lifestyle choices such as eliminating smoking and reducing alcohol and sugar consumption can improve the skin’s hydration and prevent oxidizing effects on the skin, which can accelerate the signs of aging.
- Exercise your neck muscles. The major muscles running down the sides of our necks are not supported by bones the same way they are in the face, so they are naturally less taut and loosen more easily. As neck muscles weaken over time or with less use, neck skin starts to sag. Using a GuaSha stone and doing daily neck exercises can help strengthen neck muscles and make your neck look longer, leaner and more contoured.
- Take more screen breaks. Not all necklines come from aging. Looking down at your devices may deepen the appearance of neck creases, even in your 20s. By keeping your chin up more often, you can help counter the development of deep neck lines.
- Avoid using fragrances on your neck. Many perfumes and colognes are photosensitisers, which means they generate free radicals when activated by sunlight. This makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight and leads to an increased appearance of skin aging. If you must use a fragrance, apply it in a less exposed area or switch to a non-photosensitizing fragrance such as a body mist designed for application on clothing.
- Protect your neck and décolleté with sunscreen. Sun damage accelerates signs of skin aging, so if you want to keep uneven skin tone, wrinkles and sagging at bay, make it a habit to apply SPF to your neck area daily. If you’re not big on the feeling of wearing suncream, opt for a makeup primer or foundation that contains SPF instead.
- Committing to a good quality skincare routine that includes adequate hydration and actives such as vitamin A, AHAs and antioxidants. While the skin loses 1% of collagen each and every year after the age of 21, good quality skincare with actives can help slow the signs and help to diminish already existing conditions and helps to support a professional skin treatment journey focussed on getting real results. If you’re not sure where to start with having your skin analyzed perhaps try a Skin Discovery Session where we can assess your skin’s needs and help you make educated choices on your skins health.
- Get a professional neck treatment. Ask your professional skin therapist whether they incorporate neck-specific products or techniques into their skin treatments. Doing so can help accelerate visible results.
While the appearance of your neck is somewhat determined by your genetics, you can still achieve your skin’s best appearance with your home care regimen and lifestyle. Making these eight habits part of your day will go a long way toward keeping the skin on your face and neck taut and toned.
Top 5 Professional skin treatments to enjoy at Luscious to help fight fine lines and wrinkles (and get real results)
- Skin Needling | Collagen Induction Therapy
- RF Skin tightening
- ProPower Peel
- IPL Photo rejuvenation
- Skin Corrective Facial | ProSkin Treatment with NeckFit neck tightening enhancement
Looking to reduce fine lines and wrinkles but don’t want to wait to get started?
Don’t miss out! We have put together a very special treatment bundle to help you get started under the expert guide of a professional skin therapist to help alleviate your aging concerns and achieve real results. This package is so heavily discounted that we’ve had to limit it to the first 10 clients who purchase. Will you be one of our 10 lucky guests? Want to see our limited edition bundle- you can check it out here.